1. Lake Martin 100 is coming up this weekend, March 23 and 24. This was named the Best 100 Mile race in North America and the 50 Mile was named the Best North American Ultra. Don’t miss out if you’re an active runner! You’ve got the choice to sign up for the 100, 50 or 27 mile trail race. Running begins at the Artist Cabin in Russell Crossroads at 6:45 a.m. on Saturday. Package pickup is on Friday, along with a pre-race dinner. A hot breakfast will be available Saturday morning for all runners and crew staying at Harbor Lodge. Good luck to all the runners!
2. The 205th Anniversary of the Battle of Horseshoe Bend will take place March 23 at Horseshoe Bend National Military Park. Visit traditional hunting camps and watch demos of cultural skills of Creek and Cherokee Indians, such as hide tanning, cooking and finger weaving. Kids can try a stickball game. You can also learn how to spin wool and watch wool dying demos. There will be cannon firing demos and musket firings as well. These events run throughout the date from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.!
3. If you’re new to the Lake Martin area, or you’d just like to refresh your boating knowledge, sign up for the Boating Safety Course at The Ridge Marina at Russell Marine on April 6. This will run from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. This course is NASBLA and Alabama Boating Safety certified. It’s great for newbies who need an Alabama boating license, or for veterans who want to review the latest rules and regulations.
4. Women on Lake Martin takes place at Rive North Marina on April 13, which is a more informal preparation for boating season, and it’s just for women who happen to also be lake enthusiasts! Review the basics of boating in a hands-on course. It’ll go over boating safety and operation, with on-water demos. Limited availability, so sign up! This runs from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
5. The 19th Annual Waverly Boogie will take place April 13. This spring gathering brings people together to celebrate the season with live music and southern ambiance! Tickets cost $30 in advance, $40 at the gate. Kids 14 and under are free. Bring chairs and small coolers and enjoy the lineup of music!
6. Music on the Deck is back at Kowaliga Restaurant. Live music will take place every Sunday (excluding some holidays) from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m.! On April 14, grab a seat and enjoy live acoustic music from Jonathan Bloom as the season kicks off. The next one after that will be April 28 with Ella Langley.
Becky Haynie, Associate Broker / Realtor
Lake Martin Realty