Holiday season is upon us, with Thanksgiving tomorrow and Christmas and New Year’s right around the corner! Temperatures are cooling off as well. Now is the perfect time of year to make your home cozier for the holidays, and this year, this is more important than ever. No matter how you’re celebrating the holidays at Lake Martin, or who with, it’ll be a better experience in a cozy home!
As your Lake Martin real estate team, we are here to offer some simple suggestions on making your home extra cozy this winter and holiday season:
1. Light some candles. The soft glow of candles makes any space feel cozier and warmer. Add some lit candles to the center of your holiday table, or place candles on your fireplace mantelpiece or on end tables. They could be unscented, just for the added glow, or they could be scented with your favorite winter scents, like wintergreen or gingerbread.
2. Add pillows and blankets. Everyone likes to curl up with blankets during the winter, while reading a good book or watching a holiday movie. Replace lightweight cottons and linens with chunkier textures, like knits, velvet and flannel. Add throw pillows for added comfort. Choose blankets and pillows in holiday colors if you wish, to add more of a festive feel.
3. Enjoy holiday beverages. Set up a beverage cart for easy-access beverages this winter season. This could be for a holiday gathering, or just for a cozy night in. Make it family-friendly with hot chocolate mix, a water steamer, mini marshmallows, cinnamon sticks, etc., plus numerous types of herbal teas and honey. Or, make it adult-friendly with a mix of cocktail options and mixers.
4. Switch up your décor. Everyone decorates a different amount for the holidays. Do what makes you happy! From setting up a Christmas tree, to hanging lights outside, to hanging a wreath on the door, to switching out the art on your walls, to just adding holiday-colored accents in your home, the choice is yours on how you want to decorate. If selling your home, opt for more neutral holiday décor.
5. Stock up on recipes. There isn’t anything like filling your home with the scents of the holidays. Now is the time to stock up on recipes that taste and smell good. Cook your Thanksgiving turkey with spices like sage and rosemary. Bake a pumpkin pie with cinnamon, clove and nutmeg. Bake cookies for Santa. If you’re not a cooker/baker, simmer some DIY holiday potpourri on the stove.
Bring more nature inside, drape doorways or windows with lights, pile on extra bedding, turn up the heat, play holiday music and so on. What is your favorite tried-and-true way to make your home cozy for the holidays?
The Haynie Team wishes you a Happy Thanksgiving and a festive holiday season! If you would like to sell, buy or both in the Lake Martin real estate market this holiday season, give us a call. Real estate activity is still hot! Is a lake home on your wish list this year? We’re here to help make it happen!
Becky Haynie, Associate Broker / Realtor
Lake Martin Realty